Friday, December 23, 2005

Quizdom Braes High School

I'm trialling the Quizdom [Q5] supplied by Scotsys within the DET department initially. I have previous experience of working with Quizdom Q3.
Ease of Setup - for some reason I've had problems installing the software but with the help of Kevin McAuley at Scotsys these problems were quickly resolved.
Complatibility, ease of transfer of existing materials - this is varied, dependant of the original format -
From powerpoint - I found it very easy to quickly change a set of powerpoint slides into an interactive quiz.
From Word including graphics - When I did this for the first time I was apparently using not the most up to date version of the software. However I found it to be a nightmare - using the cut & paste facilites it took me between at least 1 - 2hrs to transfer 24 multiple choice question [each with 4 answers and half with a graphic]. The latest version of the software does make this easier but its still time consuming. Next time I think that I'll just type directly into the software.

Range of Questions - a wide range of questions are available ranging from multiple choice type to True/False or Yes/No questions I would like to see a fastest finger [where the anwer is not specific]
Storage issues - Supplied in a case teachers have not found any problems, the handsets are big enough not to be accidently misplaced.
Pupil response - All pupils who have used the system in the class have responded well - all keen to take part in the question and answering sessions.
Battery type - each pupils handset takes two AA batteries. the only problem has been making sure that the handsets are turned off at the end of a session, I would have preferred to see a distinct on/off button.

Uses so far - within the DET department to run end of unit tests which we have made ourself - I have not yet used the content packs yet. We have also used it within the end of term assembly for S1 and S2 to run a interhouse quiz. It proved very successful.
I intend to use it next year within other departments such as Art or Home Economics.

No comments: